GNOCCHI MEDITERANNEAN- Recipe by coolinarika.com -
If you are a fan of mare-and-monte dishes popular in the Mediterranean countries, try this unique combination of seafood and mushrooms seasoned with lime juice and carob brandy served with home-made gnocchi for an impressive centrepiece of your party dinner.
- Dust the prawns with Vegeta Mediterranean and leave to marinate.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil into a saucepan and fry the marinated prawns. Squeeze one lime into the saucepan, add capers, the remaining olive oil and minced garlic.
- When the prawns or shrimp are done, add sliced porcini and button mushrooms, stir in 1/8 cup of carob brandy and one Podravka vegetable broth cube.
- Top with water, bring to boil, add the passata and cook briefly.
- Incorporate half-and-half or single cream into the sauce to thin it down to a pink hue, and season with black pepper.
- Boil the potatoes, peel the skin immediately and push through the ricer while still warm. Add butter and allow to cool before incorporating the egg, flour, salt and nutmeg.
- Knead lightly into a soft dough.
- Cut the dough and roll out into snake-shaped logs on a floured surface. Cut and shape the gnocchi as desired.
- Cook in batches in a large pot of boiling water. The gnocchi are done as soon as they pop up back to the surface.
- Rinse and drain well.
Serving: Served with boiled gnocchi.
Advice: Starch potatoes are the best when it comes to making gnocchi. You can determine if the chosen variety is right for gnocchi if you slice a potato with a knife. If you see whitish liquid on the cut that sticks to the knife, you have the right kind of potato which is less water-absorbent, needs less flour and will give the right consistency to your home-made gnocchi. Starchy potato varieties from the region of Lika in Croatia are the perfect choice for this purpose.